Sunday, March 11, 2007

An Elegy, Composed on my Laptop

literally.
for that is all you are now
a glorified desk
no longer will I view your glowing desktop

which shone hot and bright
late into the night
with all its might
for my delight

my jukebox
my theatre
my workshop
my living room
my friend

I miss you, friend.
or should I say false friend?
false frayed friend
you played me for a fool!

when silver strands slipped sleazily
from your slender black cord
oh, I knew our days were numbered
you burned for me I know

now you have burnt out

I was a fool
abusive
dragged you there and
there and
there and
there and back again
addicted

but oh! your bronze skin!
cold and smooth
embossed from T to A
oh but you were a fine specimen!

when you were in your prime
didn’t we get the looks?
didn’t we get the stares?
weren’t they all so jealous?

and even still,
I’d get the comments
“nice! is that new?”
(from those who missed the missing shift key)

that line down your side
it flickered a warning
but I paid no heed

you left me when I needed you most

three words might summon you back
I Summon You?
no, P. S. P.
instead I regard this as an answered prayer

5 comments:

Jerry said...

Computers certainly are remarkable creatures.

carlyrae said...

Love this, Lauren. I hope you use it for your creative writing class.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful poem of love, loss and renewal. My heart breaks for you, as I too have known the love of a laptop, and I know that one day, it will fail me.

*Sarah Dawn* said...

Oh Lauren,
I must say that I was getting a little jealous of that little machine. I was getting used to seeing that orange square instead of your face. Good to see your face again. :)

Lauren said...

It was worth the wait for that comment, Sarah. It was worth the wait. I'm glad you finally figured out how to post it :P