Friday, April 21, 2006

Thoughts from Europa

So, here I am in Munich, having had a fulfilling, enriching three months in England, and a delightful, draining two weeks in Europe. Last night we took a train from Venice (which was somewaht disappointing) and woke up in Munich (which was better than expected). We took another train into the Alps this morning, to go on a tour which included a visit to Neuschwanstein Castle (fairytale-like), a bike ride to "Swan Lake", and an "Alpine slide" (cross between GT and bobsled, but in the summer). It was sweet. Krissy shelled out 130 euros to go para-gliding, which I gather was amazing, though the G-forces made her vomit (literally).

Right now, though, I am sitting in the busy bar of our hostel, which doubles as the internet cafe, wondering why I feel like I am in the world but not of the world. All around me, people are partying, but it's not an atmosphere that I can really interact in. This is not necessarily a sign of great spiritual purity, perhaps more a sign of a nerdy personality. I like 'silliness" and good times with my friends, but I don't feel fit here. Maybe that is a good thing; maybe I need more boldness; maybe both.

Anyway, I am just wishing I didn't have to miss the training weekend going on right now in the States for my missions trip to Bangladesh. I am happy to be here with Kristen, but we could soo have cut a day in Venice, maybe another day somewhere, if I had only known. I know she would not have minded going home a bit sooner! I am really excited to grow in a completely new way on that trip, and to meet some amazing new people -- my group members and actual Bangladeshis. . . . fundraising ideas, anyone?

I also can't wait to get home and see everyone! 72 hrs!

My eyes are burning and I have to get out of here.

Auf Wiedersehen

4 comments:

LStew said...

loving love for you.

Anonymous said...

You're just right the way you are. Don't change a thing.

Anonymous said...

That anonymous was me. Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm back home for a day before i leave for planting, so i feel like i'm not mentally here yet, even though i'm bodily here in canada. Transitions... All the best Lauren, I'm thinking of you. And i miss you :)