Thursday, December 22, 2005

School's Out, Holidays In

I'm going home! (Actually I'm writing this on the Greyhound between Toronto and Peterborough.) A month of sturm und drang is finally over (I brought 45 books back to library this morning), and I can be with the people I love. It's the most wonderful time. . .

I took a cab to the Hamilton Go Station today. The driver was very friendly -- actually most of them are, and I usually have good conversations with them. This guy and I had quite a bit in common. He used to study English literature in
Morocco. He got accepted to Oxford once, but declined because he thought he wanted to go to Switzerland instead. I guess when you're a student in Morocco you have to leave in the summers if you want to find a summer job, so my driver had travelled a lot, but he says he has decided to stay in Canada. He even gave me his card and told me to ask for him next time I needed a cab!

Sometimes I complain that I have to take the Hound when everyone else on campus seems to get a ride home, but I shouldn't. Taking the bus is always interesting. The driver from Hamilton to Toronto today was Eastern European, and he and a passenger sitting at the front, who looked like she had had a pretty rough life, were chatting. She started singing. She must have sung five to ten different songs -- "Unchained Melody", "I'll Never Be Free", another one by Willie Nelson, without any self-consciousness at all. The bus is like its own world. You can choose how fully you want to experience it. When you have music, a book, or a laptop, you can easily shut yourself up in your own little world and notice nothing from departure to arrival. And the bus is often a tempting place to nap. But there is so much to see and hear around you, so many people to meet, that to do those things is kind of a waste. I guess you get what you put into it. [That being said, I'm not at all sorry that I no longer have to take the bus to Ottawa on Christmas Day.]

I'll have to do some reading over Christmas, I suppose, but I looked over my syllabi for next semester and discovered that I've already read seven of the plays we're studying, and I own copies of several others (plus the complete Shakespeare that Grandma and Grandpa gave me for Grade 8 grad). Not that I mind reading anyway, but that's a definite bonus. Also on the syllabi is a list of our planned trips --
castles, theatres, Stratford, London. . . *sigh* :)

My Christmas plans are coming together. I've got almost all my presents bought -- really unique ones, thanks to the
Ten Thousand Villages sale at Redeemer. Such a great event, supporting artisans around the world, and the prices are totally reasonable. I got my dad a really fun gift (an -------- ------). He, on the other hand, is trying to convince my sister and me that what we really want him to buy us for Christmas is Critical Illness Insurance -- the gift that keeps on giving!

Kristen and I will be spending Christmas eve and morning with my dad, Tammy, and my brothers. It is so fun to spend Christmas with the boys -- they are 6 and 4 this year, so they get really excited. Sometimes a little too excited. Last year, Jonathan was scared to go to sleep, because he was torn between reeeally wanting Santa to come and
not wanting a stranger in his house! Once the morning came though, it was all joy.
Mmm, Christmas morning. . . One of my favourite times is early on Christmas morning before any presents have been opened, sitting in the armchair in our living room, gazing at the lights on the tree, waiting for everyone to wake up, feeling peaceful and cozy. Then the boys wake up, so excited that they can hardly speak. Opening stockings, reading the Christmas story together, having clementines and cinnamon buns for breakfast, watching everyone open the presents you carefully chose for them. . .

Then, at 10 am, Kristen, my mom and I are driving to my aunt and uncle's house near Ottawa, to spend Christmas with that side of the family. It's always good times when we get together with our cousins, and all of us our going to be there this year, so it'll be killer. Lots of euchre, poker, president, and hearts action going on -- and when we play games, we play to the death.
I'm also hoping that over the holidays I can get together with friends whom I haven't seen for far too long -- there are quite a few of those. The last few years, we have had tons of fun at New Year's, and I hope this year will be the same. . . So many people, so little time! Why am I so blessed?

Christmas is coming
The goose is getting fat
Please put a penny
In the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny
A half a penny'll do
If you haven't got a half a penny
God bless you

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your bus story reminds me of the bus episode in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" that ends with John Candy leading the rest of the bus passengers in a rousing rendition of "Flintstones, Meet the Flintstones." By the way, thanks for sharing my CI idea with the world. I still think it's a great idea. If anyone wants a quote on CI for their adult kids, contact me. Dad.