Tuesday, February 14, 2006

in and out of focus

I left Canada on Friday the thirteenth.

I have now been in England a month.

Today is St. Valentine's Day.

I do not celebrate this day, because I am single.

Instead I write essays -- 6000 words by tomorrow (Wednesday) at midnight.

Some people call Wednesday "Hump Day". I dislike this term.

Next Wednesday, I am going to Ireland.

I thought I was not Irish, but last Christmas (a better holiday), I found out that I had a few Irish ancestors who just pretended to be Scottish.

They were horse thieves.

They were called the Black Donnellys.

The Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day.

On St. Patrick's Day, we will be performing A Midsummer Night's Dream at Charlbury Baptist Church.

Midsummer
is also a holiday.

I have been cast as Bottom (see below; I am the one with the long ears).


In the above picture, Bottom looks like the Easter Bunny.

Easter is another holiday.

I was born on the day between Good Friday and Easter.

That is all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're going through a pensive and introspective period, Lauren.

I still want to know if you have downloaded Oh England My Lionheart by Kate Bush yet.

The Lyrics go like this:

Oh England My Lionheart
I'm in your garden fading fast in your arms
The soldiers soften, the war is over
The air-raid shelters are blooming clover,
Flapping umbrellas fill the lanes
My London Bridge in rain again

Oh England My Lionheart
Peter Pann steals the kids in Kensington Park
You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames
That Rolling Post that never, ever ends
Our thumping hearts that hold the ravens in
And keep the tower from tumbling

Oh England My Lionheart
I don't want to go

Oh England My Lionheart
Dropped from my black Spitfire to my funeral barge
Give me one kiss in the appleblossom,
Give me one wish and I'll be wassailing
In the orchard my English rose,
Or with my shepherd who'll bring me home

Oh England, My Lionheart
I don't want to go.

You have to hear Kate sing it. Her fans always wanted her to come to America, but she would never leave England.
Her fans still love this song, but Kate the perfectionist supposedly has disowned it.

Happy Valentine's Day, Lauren, though it's over in England. I will never forget,and always love, the three year old Lauren you madly riding Horsey Cowboy and to the rhythm of Kate's Hounds of Love.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

You can be my Valentine, Krissy's too. This may be a little late but you are also in my heart anyway. I will be praying for you today, for all to go well. And it shall, remember how it always has. I love you dolly. Forever, and be abundantly blessed.
xoxoxox Mom

Anonymous said...

Lauren

More than Mary Donnelly, wife of your great-great grandfather James Pender Withers, there is Ida Maria Mackenzie another of you gggs whose maiden name is Leahy or Lehigh, depending on which spelling is used in family records.

love

G&G

carlyrae said...

Lauren... tsk, tsk.. when are you going to get your paper done? Remember, once its done we're free for over a week! woot!

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

We have seen David’s photos of your visit to Aberdeen. He, Linda, Uncle John all were thrilled to meet you and your friends.

Did you get to Inverness to meet Jim, Alison and family---

We are off for our month of March in Victoria, at 0700 Wednesday morning. When we get there we shall look forward to some news about your travels on the blog.

Love,

G & G

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

We have seen David’s photos of your visit to Aberdeen. He, Linda, Uncle John all were thrilled to meet you and your friends.

Did you get to Inverness to meet Jim, Alison and family---

We are off for our month of March in Victoria, at 0700 Wednesday morning. When we get there we shall look forward to some news about your travels on the blog.

Love,

G & G